What Is a School Caretaker?
What Is a School Caretaker?
A School Caretaker is responsible for maintaining and securing a school premises. School Caretakers handle various tasks, including building maintenance, groundskeeping, health and safety inspections, security monitoring and cleaning. They ensure that the school environment is safe, clean and conducive to learning.
From repairing facilities to managing outdoor areas, School Caretakers play a vital role in maintaining the overall functionality and appearance of the school. School Caretakers work closely with staff, contractors and external service providers, providing support and assistance in various areas.
What Are the Responsibilities of a School Caretaker?
While working as a School Caretaker, you will be required to:
- Maintain cleanliness in classrooms, hallways, offices, toilets and other areas within the school. Conduct minor repairs and maintenance tasks, such as fixing leaky taps, changing light bulbs and repairing broken furniture.
- Take care of the school grounds, including lawn maintenance, gardening and clearing leaves or snow from outdoor areas.
- Ensure the safety and security of the school premises by monitoring access, maintaining secure doors and windows, and reporting any suspicious activities.
- Implement safety procedures, such as fire drills, and maintaining safety equipment like fire extinguishers and alarms.
- Assist in setting up and organising spaces for school events such as furniture, setting up audiovisual equipment, and ensuring the venue is clean and presentable.
- Overseeing the general maintenance of equipment and machinery within the school, such as heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety regulations, maintaining cleanliness in accordance with hygiene standards.
- Promptly address any hazards or potential risks.
- Collaborate and communicate with school staff, administrators, and external contractors to address maintenance issues.
- Conduct regular inspections of the school premises to identify maintenance needs.
- Keep track of cleaning supplies and equipment. This involves monitoring stock levels, placing orders, and maintaining an organised storage area.
- Promote and implement environmentally friendly practices within the school, such as recycling programs.
- Conduct routine checks of facilities such as toilets, sinks and hand dryers to ensure they are functioning properly.
- Ensure emergency exits are clear, fire extinguishers are in working order, and alarms are functional.
Searching for School Caretaker Jobs?
We work with a variety of schools covering a wide geographical area. We offer placements at:
- Primary Schools
- Secondary Schools
- Special Education Needs Schools
Why not get in contact with one of our specialists who can advise on current and upcoming opportunities?