What Is An Accountant?
What Is an Accountant?
An Accountant is a professional who provides specific accounting and financial services to individuals or businesses. Their skills ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial data and also help others make informed financial decisions.
What Areas Can an Accountant Work In?
An Accountant can serve in different areas including:
- Financial accounting and reporting.
- Applied finance.
- Management accounting.
What Are the Responsibilities of an Accountant?
An Accountant role can be split into many different areas and specialisms and your day-to-day responsibilties will depend on which area you specialise in. Accountants can work for individuals, businesses, organisations, and government departments.
The main responsibilities of an Accountant include:
- Managing and documenting accounting and financial transactions.
- Preparing budget forecasts, statements, and reports.
- Publishing financial statements.
- Preparing and submitting tax returns.
- Reviewing financial documents and resolving any discrepancies or irregularities.
- Auditing financial transactions.
- Analysing business plans.
- Handling monthly, quarterly, and annual closings.
- Reconciling accounts payable and receivable.
- Making and recording bank payments.
- Managing balance sheets and profit/loss statements.
- Reporting on a company or individual's financial health and liquidity.
- Complying with the latest financial policies and regulations.
- Ensuring financial confidentiality is kept at all times.
Searching for Your Next Accountant Job?
If you're searching for your next career opportunity, why not take a look at all the latest Accountant jobs available now?
We work with hundreds of accountancy practices and private sector businesses throughout the UK so why not get in contact with one of our specialists who can advise on current and upcoming opportunities?