An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Finance Controller to join Essex County Council on a 6 month fixed term contract.
This opportunity is a work from anywhere position and you can be located anywhere in the UK.
If you have experience of working within a local authority or council please do read further and apply.
This role will lead the delivery of a high performing, customer focused service by deputising for the Head of Finance, and providing comprehensive financial advice to all levels of management and Members within a specific functional area
This is a pivotal role leading a team of finance professionals to ensure that robust financial reporting and system controls are in place to underpin sound financial management and meaningful performance information, to inform effective long-term decision-making and protect the Council
Be a key and active member of senior management forums and develop a high performing, motivated team, understanding customer needs and providing a greatly valued service
Working in collaboration with finance, external partners, executive and political leadership will require significant engagement skills and abilities to influence others’ thinking and direction to achieve best value for money outcomes across the council aligned to strategic aims and objectives
- Responsible for the provision, across one or more function and Member portfolios, of effective, timely and accurate financial performance information on a regular and consistent basis across the financial cycle to enable achievement of underlying business objectives. Provide expert advice on interpreting the information, risks and forecasts.
- Lead, manage and motivate a team of finance professionals ensuring exemplary standards in the provision of management reporting, risk identification and associated remedial action.
- Accountable for improving financial awareness and capability within the business to promote a culture empowering budget holders and supporting delivery of value for money services in line with financial regulations and professional accounting standards.
- Responsible for the delivery of the closure of accounts process for the functional area in compliance with all relevant standards, codes and regulations. This will necessitate active engagement with key stakeholders to secure cooperation and support to meet relevant timescales and requirements.
- Responsible for providing expert advice on the interpretation of financial information and associated assessment of financial risk to drive the development and implementation of functional financial recovery and medium term sustainability plans where necessary.
- Work collaboratively across the service in supporting projects to develop sound business cases ensuring a robust rationale for initiatives and influence senior managers in assessing the credibility of such business cases.
- Deputise for the Head of Finance in developing strategic business planning for internal facing services and integrated partnership arrangements.
- Work collaboratively across Finance to assess the impact of change on both processes and systems.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
The Experience You Will Bring
- Professional qualification in accountancy i.e. CCAB or CIMA with a minimum of 2 years Post Qualification experience.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
- Experience of working with senior personnel and Directors and other key stakeholders
- Experience of supporting business management teams
- Knowledge and understanding of providing financial advice in a public sector setting
- Experience of supporting significant financial recovery plans
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in managing others in a complex financial environment
How to apply
If you think you’ve got what it takes to succeed, or would love to find out more information, either
- Hit the apply button now and follow the steps
- Contact Matt Byrne Fraser on 0203 039 3555
- Email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Spencer Clarke Group
Here at Spencer Clarke Group, we pride ourselves on connecting you with the best career opportunities; our experienced Consultants have extensive market knowledge in Accountancy and Finance and will also provide expert career advice along the way.
When you join us, you will receive:
- Post Placement Aftercare
- Loyalty reward scheme and regular competitions for our agency professionals
Spencer Clarke Group offer a market leading referral scheme of up to £350* so if you know of someone who may also be looking for an exciting career opportunity, ask them to email their CV to Matt Byrne Fraser on email@example.com remembering to include your details as well.
*T’s & C’s apply.