Spencer Clarke Group are working alongside a local authority based in Brent to appoint a talented Recycling & Waste Policy & Projects Manager on a contract basis.
As a Recycling & Waste Policy & Projects Manager, you will support the Neighbourhood Management Service and other partners through the development and management of the Council’s strategic and operational waste related strategies and policies, leading on the design, development and delivery of waste related projects as required
About the role :
- Make a positive contribution to the delivery of the service, this will include working flexibly and positively to achieve the objectives of the council.
- Manage and lead staff to achieve high performance and effective operational delivery, including developing and improving staff capability.
- Manage a customer focused service and the effective use of resources.
- Ensure that the council’s overall vision, values and ethos are central to the requirements of the service.
- Support effective working relationships and act as an ambassador and advocate with external organisations
- Keep up to date with developments in service delivery and best practice to ensure the service performs effectively and to the highest standards.
- To be responsible for the operational and line management of 2 x Recycling & Waste Project Officers.
- To develop and manage waste related Council policy at a strategic level ensuring maintaining awareness of and compliance with local, national and international waste agendas and/or legislation including WRAP, DRS, EPR, The London Environment Strategy, RRP, etc.
- To develop and manage all waste related Council policy at an operational level including waste contamination, presentation, excess handling policy, bulky, clinical and garden waste policy, waste collection methodology policy, collection calendars, etc..
- To manage all waste related communications content either internally, externally, in print, via social media, online, etc. This includes management of waste information on the Council’s web pages and the preparing and sharing of public information as required including the management of related FOI’s, EIR’s, complaints and enquiries.
- To develop, manage and ensure distribution and awareness of the Council’s Waste Planning Guidance for new designs and builds
- To develop, manage and ensure compliance with the Council’s RRP linked to the London Environment Strategy.
- To design, develop and deliver a wide range of waste related projects as required with a focus on improved and more efficient service delivery, implementation of operational changes (as required) driven by changing policy or legislation and / or initiatives aimed at sustainable waste minimisation, re-use and / or recycling.
- To design, develop and deliver a significant project in partnership with WLWA and other partners to assess and increase levels of participation in food waste disposal through the delivery of a campaign focusing on engagement, education, improved accessibility, caddy provision and operational improvements if and where required.
- To review, deliver and manage a revised outreach, engagement and education function in relation to waste reduction, re-use and recycling. This includes tackling low level take-up or non-compliance, particularly in relation to waste collected from communal housing as well as the development and delivery of a comprehensive engagement plan with schools, groups and other relevant bodies or organisations.
- To conduct consultations, surveys and audits as required.
- To lead on the transition and transfer of the ECO (Education, Communication & Outreach) function from the Public Realm contractor to an in-house operation including management of all TUPE related matters and mobilisation tasks.
- To prepare and develop bids for internal and external revenue and capital funding for waste or other environment related projects or services.
- To lead, initiate and act as project or programme manager for all waste related projects (core and funded) and adhere to the Council’s established project management methodology ensuring delivery on time, to budget and delivery of expected benefits. This will involve at times project managing multi-disciplinary teams.
- To lead on the development of project scopes, goals, deliverables and benefits realisation plans and to define project tasks and resource requirements.
- To be responsible for the direction, co-ordination, implementation, execution, control and completion of agreed projects, ensuring strategic alignment with corporate priorities and standards.
- To assume the role of quality manager throughout the lifecycle of all projects and lead on the project review / lessons learnt process at the end of the project.
- To work collaboratively both within the service and with other service areas and other departments to develop, implement and where appropriate, manage a range of environmental projects, policies and strategies on any relevant matters.
- To act as the lead person responsible for overseeing all communications for the service including oversight of any integrated waste contract communication materials such as posters, leaflets, campaigns etc.
- To be accountable for constructively and collaboratively challenging existing perspectives / working practices at a strategic level, building robust, evidence-based arguments for change and influencing decisions in the council and external forums. This may involve initiation and implementation of new and innovative services to meet current and future client / customer needs.
- To keep up to date with any legislation and/or professional development that is relevant and essential to the area of work, advising members and senior officers on strategic matters as required.
- To foster and develop relationships with government departments, professional bodies, other local authorities and partner organisations with the aim of promoting and representing the Council’s interests within the professional area.
About you :
- Knowledge and understanding of the major factors, influences and legislation facing local government in general and specifically in relation to environmental and sustainable waste management.
- Knowledge and understanding of the implications and opportunities of global, national and local waste strategies and the effect of these on the borough.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of project management tools and methodologies.
- Comprehensive technical knowledge and understanding of waste collection, street cleansing and waste processing services, and strong knowledge of these in the context of sustainable environmental management.
- Working knowledge of health and safety legislation
- Understanding of local governance finance and the requirements for managing substantial revenue budgets and capital programmes, including trading accounts and contract payment mechanisms.
- Experience of working in the waste management industry either in a government or non-government setting.
- Experience in the development and writing of policy and strategy specifically in a sustainable waste management setting.
- Experience in designing, developing and delivering high quality, detailed and complex projects within scope and on time.
- Experience of working at a senior manager level in an organisation of comparable scope and complexity.
- Experience of leading, motivating and managing staff and services with multi-disciplinary teams to achieve significant, sustainable improvements and positive outcomes through internal and external partnerships.
- Experience of managing budgets across capital and revenue, funded by multiple stakeholders, and delivering projects on time and to budget, while being accountable to funders and transparent to the Council
What’s on offer:
- Contract role
- Hybrid working model (WFH)
- Monday to Friday (36 hours)
- £35 to £50 per hour (Negotiable DOE)
If you’ve got what it takes and would love to find out more information or apply, either:
- Hit the apply button now and follow the steps
- Contact Chris Wilkinson on 01772 954200
- Email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Spencer Clarke Group
Here at Spencer Clarke Group, we pride ourselves on connecting you with the best career opportunities; our experienced Consultants have extensive market knowledge and will also provide expert career advice along the way.
When you join us, you will receive:
- Access to a wide range of temporary and permanent opportunities
- Free DBS checks
- Post Placement Aftercare
- Loyalty reward scheme and regular competitions for our agency professionals
Spencer Clarke Group offer a market leading referral scheme of up to £250 so if you know of someone who may also be looking for an exciting career opportunity, ask them to email their CV to Chris Wilkinson on email@example.com remembering to include your details as well.