An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Service Director (Monitoring Officer) – Finance and Assurance to work with Cornwall Council on a contract basis.
- To act as the Council’s statutory Monitoring Officer and to undertake all Monitoring Officer functionality and activity.
- To contribute to the leadership of the Council through membership of the Council’s Corporate Leadership Team (CLT) and to the Directorate through being a member of the Customer and Support Services Directorate Leadership Team (DLT)
- To lead the governance and assurance arrangements for the Council so as to ensure that the Councils democratic processes secure well informed and legally sound decisions and that Cornwall has a vibrant participative democracy.
- To develop and embed models of governance to deal with and facilitate devolution of powers and responsibilities from Government to Cornwall Council and from Cornwall Council to local bodies such as Parish and Town Councils and community groups. This includes supporting the governance arrangements for the Council’s companies.
- To support the achievement of the Councils outcomes detailed in the Councils Business Plan and specifically - to improve local community engagement in civic life - to support the sub outcomes under the Empowering and Enterprising Outcome
- To develop and implement the design of governance and assurance processes which are aligned to the Council’s new target operating model ensuring that processes meet the value for money and reducing red tape tests
- To lead services within the scope of the role including the leadership of the two DS.151 Head of Finance Service posts which are located in the Finance and Assurance Senior Leadership Team (SLT) – this does not include any accountability for activities covered by the S151 officer which is vested in the Chief Operating Officer.
- To support or lead the development and delivery of corporate objectives as part of the Corporate Leadership Team.
Role Specific Accountabilities
- To line manage the Head of Legal and Governance; Head of Audit, Insurance and Risk; Head of Financial Planning and Insight; Head of Technical, Pensions and Treasury.
- To contribute strategically at an organisational wide level, through being a member of the Directorate Leadership Team and Council Leadership Team and attending the Council Directors Team (Assurance).
- To ensure the delivery of Cornwall Council’s Monitoring Officer role and functions pursuant to section 5 of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989 and as such to be responsible and accountable for ensuring the legality of proposals and decisions and that overall governance arrangements are in place which encourage high levels of probity and ethical standards.
- To lead a proactive Internal Audit Service that adds value to the Council.
- To develop and maintain an effective relationship with the Council’s External Auditors to ensure that they continue to rely on the work of Internal Audit as part of their assessment of the Council’s internal control environment.
- To oversee the exercising of the Council’s democratic functions ensuring they are fit for purpose in a modern unitary Council and the changing environment of devolution and the national and European context.
- To lead a responsive legal and governance service that provides value for money and sound legal advice to the services of the Council.
- With the Returning Officer ensure that Cornwall Council is able to run safe, effective elections which promote active engagement in our democracy.
Knowledge, skills and Experience Required:
- Qualified Lawyer with significant post qualified experience
- Successful and consistent achievement in the leadership of relevant functions at senior management level, within a local authority or other organisation of comparable size, scope and complexity
- Ability to articulate a clear vision and strategy in line with the corporate vision and outcomes for the services and how to improve and transform outcomes, with experience of translating policy and strategy into tangible outcomes for the benefit of customers (internal and external) / residents
- A proven record of successful organisational change management, delivering new working policies and practices alongside significant cultural and structural change. Experience of working in streamlined and “agile” environments including automation and digital improvements.
- Proven experience of service based financial management including budget formulation, financial planning, monitoring and control, within tight financial limits in a complex organisation (this role looks after the pay and rations for the DS151officers but does not have any S151 responsibilities which sits with the S151)
- Demonstrates an up to date knowledge and understanding of the law, government policy and best practice in relation to the functions provided within the service
- Significant experience of giving advice to and building relationships with elected members and/or Board Members at the highest level
- Successful track record of achieving equality of opportunity in both employment and service delivery
- Membership of relevant professional body with and evidence of commitment to continuous professional development
- Practical experience of democratic decision making processes and their improvement
How To Apply
If you think you’ve got what it takes to succeed, or would love to find out more information, either
- Hit the apply button now and follow the steps
- Contact Matt Byrne Fraser on 0203 039 3555
- Email your CV to email@example.com
About Spencer Clarke Group
Here at Spencer Clarke Group, we pride ourselves on connecting you with the best career opportunities; our experienced Consultants have extensive market knowledge in Accountancy and Finance and will also provide expert career advice along the way.
When you join us, you will receive:
- Access to a wide range of temporary and permanent opportunities
- Loyalty reward scheme and regular competitions for our agency professionals
Spencer Clarke Group offer a market leading referral scheme of up to £350* so if you know of someone who may also be looking for an exciting career opportunity, ask them to email their CV to Matt Byrne Fraser on firstname.lastname@example.org remembering to include your details as well.
*T’s & C’s apply.