Your key responsibilities and requirements will be:
- To provide for the effective delivery of services in one of the following roles: Development Management, Planning Policy, Building Control
- To assist in the guidance and general supervision (but not direct line management) of Planning Officers/Building Control Officer/ Graduate Trainees.
- To assist with the continual improvement and change in working practices so as to deliver lean and effective services to customers.
- To support the Development Team Manager or Planning Policy Team manager or Building Control Team Manager in driving change, continuous improvement, efficiency and effectiveness in all aspects of process, service delivery and customer interface.
- To support the relevant Team Manager in implementing business plans for the relevant Team to ensure that the Council delivers effective and efficient services, maximises business development opportunities, and reduces costs and maximises income each year.
- To lead on individual change and improvement projects under the supervision of the relevant Team Manager.
- To advise Elected Members with regard to a wide range of issues, including, but not necessarily falling within the post holder’s area of knowledge or expertise.
- To provide advice to customers (internal and external) on a wide range of issues, including, but not necessarily falling within the post holders area of knowledge or expertise.
- To provide advice to community groups and external partners on wide range of issues, including, but not necessarily falling within the post holders area of knowledge or expertise.
- To make a significant contribution to the regeneration and growth of the Borough and to contribute towards the priority of Economic Growth through the application of Planning and Building Control (and related) powers and through working in partnership with other businesses within the Council and partner agencies outside of the Council
- To appear at public inquiries, hearings and at court, to present the Council’s case and act as a professional witness.
- DM/BC posts - To deal with the more complex and controversial aspects of the determination and processing of applications in relation to planning or building control (and related matters).
- Planning Policy post – To deal with the more complex and contentious aspects of the Local Plan and policy making process.
- To write reports on complex issues, either for presentation to Committee, external groups, or for decisions by the relevant management team within the Council.
- To sign off applications, consultation responses and other related decisions & reports for relevant committees under delegated powers within the bounds of the relevant scheme of delegation, and if necessary, referring matters for approval to the Team Manager as appropriate and agreed within the delegation scheme or any other established protocols.
Office based and home working will be required.
Full time roles will be 5 days per week (mon-Fri).
The candidates will need to be located so that they can carry out daily inspections within the Tameside area of Greater Manchester.
Site based mileage will be reimbursed.
A good level of computer literacy is required for the role, the council uses the Uniform system for the operation of the function
Experience and Qualifications Required:
- Able to demonstrate extensive experience in the delivery of a service relating to Planning or Building Control
- Educated to degree level
- Chartered Membership of RTPI, RICS (or equivalent body), or be eligible to attain full Chartered membership of the RTPI /RICS (or equivalent body) within 1 year of appointment
- Management qualification
- Experience/ track record of delivering substantial & demonstrable change & improvements in the external environment
If you wish to apply for this role then please respond with your recent CV.