An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Principal Auditor to join Sefton Council on a contract basis.
To undertake and deliver the audits assigned in the Council Annual Audit Plan. Assist the Audit Manager with the monitoring and control of Audits and where required supervision of staff. To undertake a full range of Audit services as required to achieve Internal Audit objectives.
1. The Principal Auditor will assist the Audit Manager in the efficient planning, monitoring and control of all audit activity together with the supervision of staff within the Team.
2. Deputise for the Audit Manager in his/her absence.
3. To assist the Audit Manager in the preparation of Annual and Operational Audit Plans.
4. The Principal Auditor is directly responsible to the Audit Manager for carrying out and completing within allocated timescales, a wide range of Audit activities undertaken by the Team including systems audit review, risk audit review, regularity, probity audits, ICT audits and value for money exercises / reviews. Directing or conducting audits of more complex or specialised audit work.
5. As directed by the Audit Manager, to carry out fraud or other special investigations, and/or other ad-hoc exercises/projects.
6. Be aware of and continually assess the risks arising from areas of audit review, advise Audit Manager and report to Departmental Managers as appropriate.
7. To assist the Audit Manager to undertake reviews of the internal control environment comprising risk management, control and governance.
8. Provide advice on sound procedures and controls for financial/other systems and on the Councils financial procedure rules and other regulatory codes/guidelines to officers at all levels within the Council.
9. Develop, compile and review audit programmes, systems records and other such Audit documentation to ensure all areas of Audit work are carried out effectively.
10. Maintain good working relationships with service department officers.
11. Communicate effectively with Audit clients, providing good quality correspondence and Audit Reports which are positive and constructive as well as take the clients views and resources into account. Ensure all significant recommendations are progressed.
12. As directed by the Audit Manager, to develop and use modern audit techniques.
13. Attend at Disciplinary Hearings, Appeals, Court and Tribunal Cases, give evidence and/or represent the Internal Audit Section as required.
14. Maintain lines of communication with officers of all Council Departments.
15. To assist the Audit Manager in the review of Council activities, with particular reference to the identification of fraud, irregularities, extravagance, inefficient administration and poor value for money.
16. Contribute to service improvement and development of Internal Audit.
17. To assist in the internal training and development of skills of Internal Audit staff.
18. Every employee has a responsibility to ensure that their work complies with all statutory requirements and that they act within and comply with all the relevant Codes and Regulations of the Council.
19. Undertake such other duties as deemed appropriate by the Chief Internal Auditor and Audit Manager.
20. This job description is not intended to be prescriptive or exhaustive but is a framework outlining the main areas of responsibilities.
If you are an an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual with previous extensive experience of auditing within local authorities or the public sector to the Public Sector Internal Audit Standard and are qualified with a recognisable internal audit qualification CIPFA, PIIA, CIA etc. Then we would love to hear from you!
How to Apply
If you think you’ve got what it takes to succeed, or would love to find out more information, either
Hit the apply button now and follow the steps
Contact Matt Byrne Fraser on 0203 039 3555
Email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Spencer Clarke Group
Here at Spencer Clarke Group, we pride ourselves on connecting you with the best career opportunities; our experienced Consultants have extensive market knowledge in Accountancy and Finance and will also provide expert career advice along the way.
When you join us, you will receive:
Post Placement Aftercare
Loyalty reward scheme and regular competitions for our agency professionals
Spencer Clarke Group offer a market leading referral scheme of up to £350* so if you know of someone who may also be looking for an exciting career opportunity, ask them to email their CV to Matt Byrne Fraser on email@example.com remembering to include your details as well.
*T’s & C’s apply.