Spencer Clarke Group are working alongside a local authority in Kensington & Chelsea to appoint a talented M&E Capital Works Project Manager on a contract basis.
As an M&E Capital Works Project Manager you’ll play a vital role to manage a portfolio of individual contracts (M&E) and call off projects from the RBKC’s procured contractor and consultants frameworks within the current budget of circa £250m over the next 7 years from inception to final account making sure that residents are fully engaged in projects. You will be responsible for managing the team to deliver from inception to final account of approximately £50 million per year (over the next 3 years), you will be responsible for reporting/managing the delivery of capital building projects within the Councils capital programme, ensuring effective outcomes, delivery on time, within budget, representing value for money, contribute to the development, delivery, management and monitoring of the organisation’s.
If that sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
Purpose of the role:
Work up schemes to deliver RBKC’s capital programme maximising resident involvement. Monitor and report on project financials on a monthly basis (or as required); to monitor and report on project programmes slippages, mitigating action and cost profiles ensuring all cost variations are fully reconciled and approval is obtained in accordance with financial rules and department procedures. Work closely with and regularly collaborate with peers, residents, Resident associations and senior management to ensure a fully integrated Property approach is achieved and maintained. Manage a range of internal and external stakeholders in the planning and delivery of capital projects. Managing the performance of the Project Managers, Assistant Project Manager/Resident liaison officer on both a formal and informal basis including employee engagement, motivation, performance and absence management. Delegating and assessing their quality of work
- Managing the performance of all direct reports on both a formal and informal basis, including employee engagement, motivation, performance and absence management.
- Lead the team on the scoping, specification design sign-off and procurement of projects ensuring that all organisational and statutory requirements are met.
- Analyse and make recommendations on consultant/contractor design options, feasibility reports and proposals to ensure they meet the project objectives, RBKC’s requirements and demonstrate value for money.
- Lead on ascertaining client requirements and brief consultants accordingly ensuring compliance with all business requirements and performance and quality standards. Ensure an integrated approach to service delivery is maintained in line with overall council and departmental strategy and plans.
- Setting up strategic planning controls covering the full scope of works (up to £35 million for a specific project) for all disciplines including taking full responsibility for the delivery of identified schemes and the operational management of these from inception to final accounts in line with all company and statutory requirements including Financial Standing Orders, Contact Regulations, EU Procurement, Health and Safety. Support and assist the development and implementation of strategies that safeguards the Council against contractual and commercial risk
- Work effectively with a range of stakeholders to establish and lead multi-disciplinary project teams to deliver the project to time and budget. Ensuring the Council is not put at any financial risk, including recharging of leaseholders.
- When retrofitting and/or developing work/capital work programmes, you will need to consider the net zero carbon targets and find intuitive ideas to work towards RBKC goal to reach zero carbon by 2030. Page 3 of 10
- Ensure that site checks are undertaken to agree or validate the necessity and accuracy of contractor and consultant work proposals/schedules, quality of work and customer care precautionary works.
- Assist with Open Book/Financial checks on contractors’ valuations and final accounts. Ensure each project is financially resourced and has clearly defined objectives, aims and outcomes, ensuring project milestones are carefully planned to reduce clashes/conflict. Monitoring, controlling and reporting on individual projects and budgets to agreed timescales and standards and ensure that continuous improvement activities are conducted in line with RBKC’s requirements to ensure that corrective and action plans are implemented where required.
- Monitoring, controlling and reporting on your teams’ projects and budgets to agreed timescales and standards and ensure that continuous improvement activities are conducted in line with RBKC’s requirements to ensure that corrective and action plans are implemented where required.
- Ensure that the projects are delivered within the constraints of CDM requirements and that project specific ‘Construction Phase Plans’ are reviewed and updated as the projects progress
- Take responsibility for ensuring that all relevant information form contractors to enable progression of leasehold consultation and dealing with resultant enquiries against specific projects is undertaken.
- Work with residents, Resident Associations, Councillors, Area Review Boards and RLO’s to ensure that resident communication and engagement on projects managed including ensuring S20 legislative requirements are met.
- Relevant professional qualification Degree or HND or qualified by experience in Mechanical and electrical engineering
- Qualifications related to the role Property Related e.g., Qualified Chartered Surveyor
- Member of a related Property based Professional Body Membership such as Chartered
- Qualification/experience in delivering Fire Safety works
- Chartered Civil or Mechanical
- Engineer, CIPFA, BIFM etc
- Recognised project management and/or programme management qualification
- Experience managing a team, to lead them to deliver circa £200m Capital works over the next 7 years.
- Experience of successful contract management and procurement on M&E projects
- Operational experience within housing or similar environment successfully delivering major works schemes
- Experience of reviewing specifications/designs/feasibility reports and challenging consultants/contractors
- Experience of working with leaseholders and residents and agreeing work scopes and producing supporting data to enable leasehold consultation to take place
- Experience of effectively managing budgets for individual projects and annual programmes of work
- Experience of modern contracting and SMART procurement and the contractual arrangements supporting this
- Knowledge of current relevant legislation within the area of M&E and housing issues
- Track record of successful project/programme delivery
- Good analytical skills with the ability to work with figures and statistics, consider options appraisals and make informed decisions
- Ability to prepare design briefs, specifications, tender documents and contracts
- Ability to communicate and demonstrate effective presentation skills in internal and external meetings to a variety of stakeholders
- Well-developed Innovation and problem-solving skills
- Effective planning and organisational skills
- Ability to negotiate and influence
- Ability to lead and motivate others not under direct management control
- Understanding or direct experience of local government legislation, practices and procedures and financial regulations
- Experience developing policy, practice, processes and procedures relating to the role
- Understanding of equality and inclusions principles and regulations relating to public sector procurement.
- An understanding of Asset Management Guidance and best practice
- Has a commitment to enhancing the built environment to the public good
- Can demonstrate awareness of methods of sustainability
- Has a track record of improving the built environment
- Quickly able to understand the business context and extract key facts to deliver concise management information.
- Advanced knowledge of Health and Safety legislation (in relation to building construction and building services)
If you’re interested in the role and would like to apply, please email your up-to-date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Chris on 0177 954 200