An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Lead Accountant to join Rugby Borough Council on a temp to perm basis.
As lead accountant you will manage financial resources, promoting efficiency, high performance, probity, and outstanding value for money services.
In this role you will play a key role in the delivery of service transformation, driving efficiency and productivity improvements and also the optimisation of income opportunities. You will ensure that Elected Members and officers are provided high-quality advice on financial strategies, policies, standards and practices, enabling timely, considered and well-informed decisions to be made. You may have substantial experience as an accountant, or have only been qualified a couple of years, either way the Council will support you to be successful in this role.
Ensuring employees have a positive work life balance is really important to the local authority. They have an agile working policy, which enables their employees to work flexibly either at home and/or in the main Town Hall.
About the role
As the Lead Accountant you will share the responsibility (with a fellow Lead Accountant) for:
- The annual budget setting process for the General Fund and Housing Revenue Account ensuring that the Council’s strategic objectives for financial matters are met in the medium term, in conjunction with the Technical and Finance Manager
- The production of financial strategies
- Act as the Council’s expert on financial matters related to your area of work
- Manage and co-ordinate the Council’s revenue and capital budget monitoring, including the preparation of reports for the Leadership Team and Committees
- Provide a proactive internal financial advisory service to the Council across a range of major corporate initiatives, projects, and schemes
- The Council’s Treasury Management activities and Council Strategy
- All VAT implications in respect of payments made and income received
- The development of financial reporting and monitoring for Budget Managers
- Co-ordinate the Council’s capital budgets and programme, including financing and all associated balance sheet and asset management transactions
- Play a significant and leading role in the closure of the Council’s annual accounts and production of Statement of Accounts, for the General Fund, the HRA and collection fund, plus the Whole of Government Accounts
The ideal candidate for the role of Lead Accountant will be able to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Post qualification experience in a professional finance environment, preferably public sector
- Be a fully qualified member of one of the accountancy institutes in CCAB
- Full understanding of up-to-date Local Government finance policies and legislation
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships with colleagues and external contacts
- Be an effective communicator
- Producing high quality and accurate financial reports for management information
- Have experience of successfully managing a team
- Be able to deliver finance training
- Be experienced in developing financial systems and processes
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone to continue their career in a supportive and collaborative environment.
How to apply
If you think you’ve got what it takes to succeed, or would love to find out more information, either
- Hit the apply button now and follow the steps
- Contact Matt Byrne Fraser on 0203 039 3555
- Email your CV to email@example.com
About Spencer Clarke Group
Here at Spencer Clarke Group, we pride ourselves on connecting you with the best career opportunities; our experienced Consultants have extensive market knowledge in Accountancy and Finance and will also provide expert career advice along the way.
When you join us, you will receive:
- Post Placement Aftercare
- Loyalty reward scheme and regular competitions for our agency professionals
Spencer Clarke Group offer a market leading referral scheme of up to £350* so if you know of someone who may also be looking for an exciting career opportunity, ask them to email their CV to Matt Byrne Fraser on firstname.lastname@example.org remembering to include your details as well.
*T’s & C’s apply.