Spencer Clarke Group are working alongside a local authority in Lambeth to appoint a talented Interim Senior Development Manager on a contract basis.
As a Interim Senior Development Manager you’ll play a vital role leading a portfolio of real estate development and regeneration programmes and projects, leveraged through assets owned by the Council (or in partnership with other landowners/agencies) and delivered under contractual arrangements with the private or not for profit sector. The Senior Development Manager will be responsible for management of a team to support the delivery of a range of mixed use projects
If that sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
Purpose of the role: .
- To lead major property development programmes and projects from feasibility stage, through investment approval, site assembly, partners procurement, statutory approvals and on-site delivery in order to generate a financial return and social value. The Senior Development Manager will be required to have detailed understanding and experience to lead public sector procurement processes and/or land disposal processes.
- To ensure the development programmes and projects deliver measurable enhancements against the outcomes of the Borough Plan such as housing and employment growth.
- To lead partnership working within the SGO Directorate, other Directorate and with external partners (developers, landowners Registered Providers and other key stakeholders) to maximise financial and social value
- To lead a comprehensive risk management approach.
- Represent the service at public meetings and site visits to discuss regeneration proposals.
- To undertake a key overall management function within the Development Programme team.
- To take strategic responsibility for ensuring that the Council and its delivery partner(s) are working together to deliver benefits against the council’s requirements to residents, and to ensure that robust and inclusive community engagement is taking place
- To lead in managing major property regeneration and development projects, to deliver financial and social value.
- Lead a team who use their specialist knowledge and skills around land assembly, partnership working, development management and funding streams to progress development projects.
- Take a lead role in negotiating strategic development deals and commissioning advice from expert financial, legal and technical advisors.
- Be responsible for programme governance, project management, project monitoring and programme reporting of projects against key metrics (time, quality and cost)
- Oversee and own all development financial viability appraisals and review on a regular basis to ensure development projects remain viable and achieve income targets.
- Secure necessary funding and delivery arrangements which enable the timely delivery of projects and manage budgets associated with the project.
- Manage the Risk Register for projects and programme and ensure that both risk and mitigation measures are identified and executed in a timely manner.
- Working with internal and external partners to promote the identification of land assets which can contribute to the delivery of the Council’s housing and employment growth strategies.
- Consult with the local community on property development projects, ensuring the delivery of high levels of participation across the Borough
- Consult with senior officers, Members and external contacts on the full range of matters relating to the property development project.
- Manage stakeholder expectations and respond to issues (including press enquiries, Members' enquiries, Freedom of Information Act requests, and formal complaints) in compliance with established timescales and procedures.
- Take responsibility for ensuring that Council’s statutes and government legislation is upheld. This includes, amongst others; Management Compliance Charter, Environmental Policy, Data Protection Act, Race Equality Action Plan, Quality Assurance Plan, Health & Safety, Sustainable Construction and Recycling.
- Take responsibility, appropriate to the post, for tackling racism and promoting good race, ethnic and community relations.
- A Degree level (or equivalent) qualification or equivalent professional experience (at least 5 – 10 years) in a discipline linked to real estate development and ideally with MRICS qualification
- A sound and proven knowledge of mixed use real estate development, the statutory planning regime, commercial appraisals and managing commercial elements of a project to balance risk and optimise value
- A good understanding of the role of the private and public sector and local authority process and structures in relation to major property
- Broad knowledge and awareness of current issues affecting regeneration and the delivery of financial and social values in both the commercial and residential markets
- Commercial acumen and experience leading complex property development and regeneration projects in a development management or real estate advisory capacity
- Experience of promoting and implementing place renewal through land assembly, partners procurement and long-term investment strategies. Ideally with experience of leading the procurement of or bidding for real estate development opportunities via public sector frameworks e.g. OJEU/panels etc
- Experience leading, motivating and managing multidisciplinary teams to delivery complex development projects and positive outcomes through internal and external partnerships
If you are interested in the role and would like to apply, please email your up-to-date CV to email@example.com or call Chris on 01772 954 200