Spencer Clarke Group are working alongside a local authority based in Greenwich to appoint a talented Interim Head of Sustainability on a contract basis.
As an Interim Head of Sustainability, you’ll play a vital role in being responsible and accountable to the Assistant Director for the corporate climate change agenda including programme coordination and delivery of carbon neutral plan actions. Develop and deliver key projects that support the overall objectives of the carbon neutral plan and other emerging council climate policies. To ensure the Council is well positioned in relation to the Climate Change agenda within the national, regional and sub-regional context
About the role:
Based in Greenwich you will be tasked with:
- Coordinate the delivery of the Council’s commitments to the Carbon Neutral Plan actions.
- Liaise and co-ordinate with all sections of the authority to ensure a joined-up delivery program across the authority of key actions supporting the authorities aims and aspirations in relation to the Carbon Neutral plan and all other authority policies and strategies.
- Initiate, develop and lead key projects through effective project planning, financial and risk management, including full scheme appraisals and reviews at critical milestones, procuring specialist resources.
- Where necessary to procure, engage and manage and external providers in key elements of project support or delivery.
- Support the development of the Council’s response to Climate Change including the development of the Carbon Neutral Plan and any associated strategies and policies.
- Provide expert commentary on sustainability and Greener Greenwich issues in relation
- Oversee and / or provide comments to planning applications as well as input to strategic developments, eg. inputting into Strategic Environmental Assessments as required by statute in relation to key policies of the Council.
- Provide leadership and oversight of all public engagement exercises and consultations relating to the sustainability agenda
- Deputise for the Assistant Director as and when required.
- Allocate work, agree targets, monitor and implement training programmes and generally develop and motivate staff to perform effectively.
- To be responsible for the recruitment, employment and retention of staff within the framework of the Council’s employment procedures and policies, and for the development and maintenance of good employer relations.
- To manage and oversee all budgetary control and monitoring and reporting in line with the council’ s systems and requirements.
- Represent the Council at committees and internal and external meetings and provide advice and make presentations as required.
- Carry out all duties with due regard to the provisions of Health and Safety regulations and legislation, the council’s equal opportunities, anti-poverty and customer care policies, the new technology agreement and data protection legislation.
- To carry out any other work appropriate to the level and general nature of the post’s duties.
Reporting to the Assistant Director (Transport & Sustainability) the successful candidate will work corporately and be responsible for coordinating the Council’s response to the Climate Emergency and delivery of the Carbon Neutral Plan objectives. Candidates will need to demonstrate:
- Significant experience in leading the Sustainability agenda
- Experience of delivering key projects
- Experience of leading, motivating and managing multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience of working with regional bodies, eg. GLA and advising Members, senior managers and other partners
- Ability to research legislation and policy issues, interpret their implications, and apply them to the Council’s Sustainability agenda
- Experience of the management of contracts, negotiation of terms and conditions and agreement of prices
- Identification of funding opportunities, support of bid making, and management and monitoring of external funding
What’s on offer:
- On going contract
- Hybrid working model
- £320 to £400 per day (negotiable DOE)
- Monday to Friday
If you’ve got what it takes and would love to find out more information or apply, either:
- Hit the apply button now and follow the steps
- Contact Chris Wilkinson on 01772 954200
- Email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Spencer Clarke Group
Here at Spencer Clarke Group, we pride ourselves on connecting you with the best career opportunities; our experienced Consultants have extensive market knowledge and will also provide expert career advice along the way.
When you join us, you will receive;
- Access to a wide range of temporary and permanent opportunities
- Free DBS checks
- Post Placement Aftercare
- Loyalty reward scheme and regular competitions for our agency professionals
Spencer Clarke Group offer a market leading referral scheme of up to £250 so if you know of someone who may also be looking for an exciting career opportunity, ask them to email their CV to Chris Wilkinson on email@example.com remembering to include your details as well.