Spencer Clarke Group are working alongside a local authority in Enfield to appoint a talented Fire Safety Advisor on a contract basis.
As a Fire Safety Advisor, you’ll play a vital role in providing formal consultations, expert advice and guidance to Licensing Inspection and Enforcement Officers inspecting privately rented premises and Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) regarding current Fire Safety Legislation, including but not limited to:
- Housing Act 2004
- Regulatory Form (Fire Safety Order)
- Building Regulations
- Housing Fire Safety (LACROS)
- Purpose Built Flats Guide
- Relevant British Standards
- Provide expert technical advice and guidance, both written and verbal to Licensing Inspection and Enforcement Officers on fire safety matters affecting privately rented premises and Houses in Multiple Occupation
- Inspection of private rented properties to identify and report on regulatory fire safety deficiencies, associated hazards and recommending code compliant solutions and measures to remove or minimise the fire safety risks in line with risk assessment principles
- Provide expert reports with recommendations on regulatory fire safety deficiencies and Code compliant solutions to inform officers on the appropriate action to be taken, including the inclusion and submission in HHSRS notices and enforcement action
- Assess and audit Fire Risk Assessments to ensure they are suitable and sufficient as defined within the Fire Safety Order and make recommendations on deficiencies identified
- Lead and manage formal joint consultation and information sharing with London Fire Brigade Regulatory Fire Safety in accordance with the Section 10 Housing Act 2004 and the Article 46, Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 in respect of HMO licensing applications
- Provide fire safety advice and guidance to landlords, agents and other providers managing privately rented premises, recommend improvement measures to ensure appropriate standards of fire safety and other safety provisions are provided and maintained in residential premises and are compliant with fire safety regulations
- Provide comprehensive fire safety training and information to Licensing Inspection and Enforcement Officers inspecting privately rented premises and House in multiple Occupation regarding current fire safety legislation, regulatory guidance and established protocol
- Provide specialist advice, training and assistance to landlords, agents and other providers of private rented premises to understand the legal framework under which they operate, including the inspection of properties of portfolio landlords and agents, to advise on code compliant solutions and risk reduction measures in line with the Fire Safety Order
- Participate in high profile tactical operations and targeted patrols with partners and to advise on fire safety deficiencies and associated hazards identified in premises, recommending solutions and measures to remove or minimise the fire safety risks
- Implement, maintain and review a management protocol to achieve consistent regulatory compliance of landlord and agent portfolios operating in the borough
- Prepare and collate expert reports in Regulatory deficiencies and represent the Council as a professional witness in court proceeding and at Residential Property Tribunal to provide expert evidence as required
- As a regular and intrinsic part of this role requires you to speak to members of the public in English, the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential and consistent with the requirements of this role. This role also requires you to be polite and courteous when conversing with the public.
- Extensive knowledge of current fire safety legislation
- Proven experience of providing expert advice on fire safety and statutory compliance relating to privately rented premises and HMOs
- Have an expert working knowledge of LACORs and enforcement protocols
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the London Fire Authority procedures and protocols to enable effective consultation on fire safety standards and requirements in HMOs.
- Ability to carry out property inspections, working collaboratively with Licensing Inspection and Enforcement officers, and record activity and actions by maintaining detailed records.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to represent the council externally in providing expert advice.
- Have a working knowledge of First Tier Property Tribunal representation
If you’re interested in the role and would like to apply, please email your up-to-date CV to email@example.com or call Chris on 01772 954 200