Spencer Clarke Group are working in partnership with Barnsley Council to assist with the appointment of a Council Tax Assessment Officer
As a Council Tax Assessment Officer, you will assist in providing a comprehensive Benefits, Taxation and Income Service, which includes Benefits, Council Tax, Non Domestic Rates, Free School Meals, the recovery of all monies owed to the council and the provision of a dedicated customer services telephony team.
Rate of pay: Starting from £11.50 – Negotiable based on experience.
Contract Length: 3–6-month agency contract.
- Experience of dealing with the administration and maintenance of council tax accounts and the award of discounts, exemptions, and reliefs to ensure correct billing
- Must understand the relevant legislation
- Excellent customer services skills.
- Experience of working in a Financial Services environment.
- Experience of working to and meeting strict deadlines.
- Previous local government experience using authority-based systems.
- Level 2 qualification or equivalent (e.g. 4 GCSE’s at Grades A*-C).
- Training on Microsoft Office e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Key Duties:
- To carry out assessments of free school meals, all types of housing benefit and council tax support including areas of subsidy loss and discretion.
- Assist in providing a comprehensive and effective recovery service dealing with the recovery and enforcement of Council debt including council tax, non-domestic rates and overpaid housing benefit.
- Input, check and maintain accurate records using Benefits, Taxation, and Income specialist systems, ensuring information is stored appropriately and confidentially.
- Respond to, investigate, and resolve complex queries, dealing with complaints and difficult customers ensuring a customer focussed service, keeping them informed of progress and actions.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders including managers, employees, and members of the public, ensuring information and communication links are maintained.
If you are interested in the role or would like to know more, please make an application today and then contact Jordan at Spencer Clarke Group on 01772 954200